This post may contain affiliate links. I may receive commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no cost to you.
Make a finger knitted snake craft using chunky yarn, pom poms and felt. Don’t worry, they are harmless and will leave you alone so long as you don’t step on them!
Some snakes have been spotted in our house… finger knitted yarn snakes!
This easy yarn craft was first published in 2018 and has been updated and re-shared for today’s audience.
You might also like these yarn craft ideas
Have you tried finger knitting yet? It’s very easy. We have a basic finger knitting tutorial here. My girls love it because it’s so simple and fast, but what do you do with your length of finger knitting once it’s finished? In the past, we have wound up with long lengths of finger knitted ropes with no real purpose. Seriously, sometimes they are so long we could trail them around the room more than once because the girls are that obsessed with finger knitting.
I’ve challenged myself to see what I can actually make from it and this is what I’ve come up with.
These cute finger knit snakes are super easy to make using the basic finger knitting stitch and some thick, chunky yarn.
How to make finger knit snakes:
You will need:
- Chunky yarn – the thicker the better
- Small felt scraps
- Tacky craft glue (or PVA if you have no tacky craft glue)
- Make a length of finger knitting using two fingers, and tie it off at the end. It is up to you how long you make it, snakes come in all different lengths.
- Make two small white pom poms for the eyes. If it helps you can use the smallest template from our DIY cardboard pom pom maker to make them.
- Tie a piece of white yarn tightly around the centre of one pom pom, then tie it tightly to the second pom pom. Tie the two pom poms to the finger knitting about 2 inches away from one end, securing underneath with a double knot.
- Glue two small felt circles to the centre of the pom poms at the front for eyes, and a small felt forked tongue underneath at the front of the head.
Told you it was easy to make!
They love to hang out in the garden, especially near the pond where there are lots of tasty frogs to eat.
Snakes are very misunderstood creatures. Mostly they just sit there doing nothing, sunbaking on rocks and minding their own business. Be nice to snakes (real ones too).
• Make a finger knit friendship necklace
• These pom pom spiders are almost as scary as the snakes!
• Fluffy pet rocks are just too cute
• Yarn dolls are another simple DIY toy
• Make some cute yarn ghosts