Want to make a simple treat for Easter? These Easter basket cereal treats are quick to make- even for toddlers and preschoolers!
Rice Krispie Easter basket treats have been a tradition in our family for as long as I can remember! My mom used to teach kid’s cooking classes and these were always popular every year!
Now as a mom of four, these quick to make treats are on our Easter to-do list every year!
The best sort of activity is a snacktivity. Snactivity = snack + activity! Snacktivities get kids involved with making and eating. It doesn’t get better than that!
Cooking with kids doesn’t have to be complicated or time consuming. We love to find simple ways to get kids involved with making food and helping in the kitchen.
Why is it important to cook with your child?
Cooking reinforces skills like counting and measuring and also gets kids using their motor skills to mix, scoop and squish. Kids can also learn to read, follow instructions, and work on their hand-eye coordination.
“It’s been said that good cooking is an art form. The truth is, it’s much more than that. It’s a way to teach kids vital 21st century skills, such as critical thinking, creativity and collaboration. It invites kids to make connections to the broader world by asking, “Where does our food come from?” and “What is the history of this recipe?” And it allows them to apply what they are learning in school in a new context.” (source: Time Magazine)
So many things are taught through cooking, like how to try and fail, how to problem solve, and
What you need to make Easter Basket Cereal Treats:
- 5-6 cups of Rice Krispies (or alternative)
- 1 bag of mini marshmallows (10 oz.)
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- Chocolate candies (we love using Cadbury mini eggs)
- Pipe cleaners (or licorice)
You’ll also need a pot, mixing bowl, wooden spoon, regular spoon, and a muffin tin!
How to make this easy Easter Basket Cereal Treat:
These Easter treats are so easy to make!
- Melt 3 tbsp butter and 1 package of mini marshmallows in a pot on the stove on low heat.
- Turn off heat.
- Mix in 5-6 cups of Rice Krispies (less cereal makes them more gooey).
- Put scoops of the Rice Krispy mixture into a muffin tin.
- Mold into baskets when they are warm! (You can just push globs of them into the muffin tin and press inside the center to make more of a basket/nest hole).
- Add chocolates into the nest & some pipe cleaners or licorice as a basket handle.
RELATED: Want more simple weekly ideas for holidays and everyday celebrations? Check out our Year of Play activity calendars for toddlers and preschoolers.
As you add the chocolates into the rice krispy baskets, you can encourage your kids to create a pattern as they fill the baskets.
Pipe cleaners are easy to add as handles for the rice krispy baskets. You can also use licorice!
Not only are these Easter treats yummy to make, but they are a great gift to make for friends and neighbors too!
This Easter Basket Cereal Treat is delicious and so much fun to make!
Cooking with kids have never been so easy!