This post may contain affiliate links. I may receive commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no cost to you.
Print out our free pattern to create this happy earth sewing craft for kids – a fun idea for Earth Day (or any day)!
This is part of our current focus on environmental awareness and sustainable craft ideas.
You might also like our spinning paper earth craft
Meet Mr earth. He’s a happy friendly fellow, but he needs somebody to take care of him and he LOVES big hugs.
His favourite topic of conversation is environmental awareness. In fact, Mr Earth is so passionate about taking care of our environment that he’s even stuffed with his own scraps! You could say he’s full of rubbish but it’s the good kind of rubbish and he’s happy to be full of it.
It’s easy to make a happy earth of your own to snuggle with our free printable pattern, here’s how.
How to make a happy Earth sewing craft
You will need:
- The free printable template
- Needle and needle threader
- Embroidery thread (I’ve used blue, green and black and red to blend into the felt colours being sewn)
- Soft felt pieces in green, blue, black, white and red
- Pin the pattern to the felt pieces and cut out.
- Sew the green pieces onto one of the blue circles by the inside wobbly edges (leaving the curved edges unsewn for now).
- Sew the facial features on. To sew the eyes I’ve just made a single stitch in the centre of the layered black and white pieces, the mouth is stitched all the way around. You can glue these if you prefer using fabric glue.
- Sew the arms and legs to the second blue circle, a single stitch for each limb will do because it’s just to hold them in place while you sew the two halves together.
- Now place the two blue circles together with the arms and legs on the inside and sew around the edge until you have a gap for stuffing.
- Stuff using the felt scrap offcuts, then sew the rest of the way around.
Your happy earth softie is all done and ready for cuddles!
Isn’t he adorable?
Mr Earth is a subtle reminder to kids that the real planet Earth needs a bit of love too.
Earth Day resources
More Earth Day ideas for kids