This post may contain affiliate links. I may receive commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no cost to you.
Here’s a fun printable mothers day card idea – a mother and baby koala card. Mum koala’s head lifts up to reveal your message and you can take the little baby out of her pouch.
This printable koala card is also suitable for occasions such as a birthday, new baby, thank you or get well card. Or even just a hello card for a person who likes koalas! (like me)
Seriously, how adorable are koalas? They are such a unique animal and deserve to be celebrated.
Unfortunately they are are endangered and need our protection, especially after the devastating fire season we just had which wiped out a huge number of them in an already rapidly-declining population.
This begins with teaching kids about how special they are. Here are a few fun facts to talk about with kids while they make their card.
Fascinating Koala Facts for kids
- Did you know that a koala is not actually a bear? It’s a marsupial, or pouched animal.
- The mother koala carries her baby in a pouch until it’s big enough to come out, which takes about six months
- Once the baby is over six months old it rides on it’s mothers back for another six months, still using the pouch for sleeping and feeding
- Koalas survive on a diet of Eucalyptus leaves alone and can eat up to a kilogram of them in a single day! Interestingly, Eucalyptus leaves are poisonous to most other creatures
- A koala sleeps for around 18 hours per day. This is because their Eucalyptus diet is low in nutrients and they don’t have much energy.
- A mother koala’s pouch opens towards the bottom and she keeps her baby inside with strong muscles that keep the pouch closed and baby supported. For the purposes of this card – so the baby doesn’t fall out (and so you can see it’s cute head poking out), I’ve made the pouch open at the top instead
Lift Mum’s head to write your message, and colour in the little baby. Isn’t he sweet?
This card has been designed to be printed on coloured card stock but if you want to make it more fun you can print it to white and kids can colour it in themselves.
It’s so easy to make! Here’s how.
You will need:
- This printable template (also available in our TPT store)
- Card stock in two colours (grey and pink are suggested, but use whatever colours you like)
- Glue stick
- Double sided tape
- Felt tip pens
1) Print the koala shapes onto grey card stock and the small heart and circle shapes onto pink card stock using the classroom set. Alternatively print it all to one colour, then trace the heart and circle shapes onto a scrap of pink using the at home set
2) Cut out the shapes
3) Bend the top tab forward on the body piece
4) Glue the head piece to this
5) Bend the tabs inwards on the pouch piece
6) Use double sided tape to stick pouch onto the tummy area (a glue stick may not be strong enough, but if you are using paper instead of card stock it will probably be fine)
7) Glue the hearts onto the feet and the semi-circles onto the ears
8) Color the tummy and feet in on the baby koala, then slide it into pouch
9) Write a message under the head flap
You can make your koala any colour you like!
Do you know someone who loves koalas?
More ideas for mothers day: